Remote controlling using instant messaging

Rich Neswold rich.neswold@REDACTED
Fri May 13 16:16:12 CEST 2005

On 5/13/05, Simon Aurell <simon@REDACTED> wrote:
> I am currently working on my bachelor's project, which is Erlang based and
> might interest you.
>
> The project is about remote controlling devices in your home, e.g. from a
> mobile phone or pda, using instant messaging. I am building an Erlang based
> solution, with an ejabberd server and a sort of gateway, also in Erlang,
> which is capable of talking and listening to home automation devices. For
> now only the X10 protocol (low-end technology using the mains wiring) is
> supported.
> The idea is also to use a kind of 'agent' concept to add a layer of
> intelligence to the devices. This means that agents connect to the server
> (using Mickaël Rémond's jabberlang library), handle the dialogue with the
> user and decide what to do.
>
> If anyone has done something similar, has any ideas or is just interested,
> please drop me a line..

I've been planning out a similar system. I have a port driver written
for the CM11A (an RS-232C to X-10 interface). I wanted to interface my
home control system via Jabber and also through a web interface. Since
I've recently learned Erlang, I'm still having problems getting
ejabberd installed.

Anyways, I'd be happy to share ideas with you so that this system can
get done sooner than later.

--
Rich

AIM : rnezzy