ex11, plotting and Cairo ...

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed Jul 20 16:55:30 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter-Henry Mander" <erlang@REDACTED>
>Xming (http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming) looks like it fits the
> bill, but I'm hitting a wall with it.

What is the problem?

> I'm not sure I grasp the meaning of your question. The whole idea is to
> avoid reinvention by using X11. Joe is very keen to make it drop dead
> gorgeous, but he's invented ex11 which to my mind is "good enough" and
> it may become the enemy of his better PDF/PS GUI.

What I meant was that IMHO some parts of the X11 protocol aren't needed by a
simplified version. Also, some of the enhanced functionality is to be found
in X11 extensions.

<idea> Maybe the simplified X server could be just a protocol middle-man?
That is, it could talk to the real X server and handle those things that the
simplified version should be oblivious of. (It's been a while since working
with X, so maybe there aren't many such things in reality).

regards,
Vlad