Upcoming article in Dr. Dobbs'

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Jan 13 15:32:01 CET 2005

Well, yes ets tables can be accessed directly by many processes,
but all reads and writes are atomic, while operations spanning
multiple objects are not. You could view ets as an optimization
of something that could equally well have been implemented in
Erlang using processes. One ets table could be modeled as a
gen_server with a 'dict' or 'gb_trees' data structure. Named
ets tables would require a registration process as well.
I once wrote an ets implementation in Erlang. Using named
tables, it was about 30x slower than 'ets'.

If you want atomic operations on multiple objects, you can
either serialize all ets accesses using an erlang process,
or you can use Mnesia.

My main point is that ets really doesn't introduce any
semantics that couldn't be implemented in erlang using
processes. And the semantics of ets are not necessarily
"dirtier" than a lot of stuff that erlang programmers
routinely do with processes.

/Uffe