behaviours

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jul 29 18:44:45 CEST 2003

--- Fredrik Linder <fredrik.linder@REDACTED>
wrote:

> One of the uses I have for behaviours is to maintain
> knowledge about why a
> certain function is exported from a module.
>
> As an example I'd have:
>
>  o One behaviour to list operational functions
> (start/stop)
>  o One behaviour to list administrative functions
> (set cache size/...)
>  o One behaviour for each other functionality (add
> user/remove user or
> permit_user/is_user_permitted or determine user
> violations (whatever))
>
> In this way I'd say that multiple behaviours are
> very desireable.

Good motivation, and a good clarification (snipped)
about non-overlapping "roles". I'll just say "me too"
:-)

I would also add that a behaviour provides/documents a
standard way of, or API for, doing some task or
providing certain functionality. That is, it doesn't
just document the whys and hows of how THIS module
does something.

Best,
Thomas