binary_to_term size limit

Valentin valentin@REDACTED
Sat Jul 19 10:45:12 CEST 2003

Hello Heinrich,

I had a similar problem... well, about 2+ years ago with erl_interface
library -- it appears that this library is using fix-size buffer and that
can cause the problem you're referring to. However, as far as I can
remember, our C/C++ programs did crash & burn when we tried to push large
amount of data using a single send.

On the other hand, the new "ei" library doesn't seem to have the same
limitation regarding the size, but introduced few... say, considerations.
For example, if you are using ei_send, the term that you're sending must be
prefixed with version magic number.  This is not needed for ei_rpc, as the
function does it for you.

We wrote few C++ wrappers around ei library and never looked back -- it
works very well for us (although, I must say, we try to keep our C++, or
rather non-Erlang exposure to a bare minimum).

Valentin.

PS
It appears that you're based in South Africa? If so, give me a ring so we
can exchange experiences.
(+27 83 212 9180)