Which ports does distributed Erlang use?

Adam Aquilon adam.aquilon@REDACTED
Fri Oct 25 14:15:38 CEST 2002

Joe Armstrong wrote:
> Next Problem,
>
>   At home I'm  sat behind a netgear RT314  natting router which blocks
> virtually all incoming requests.
>
>   Which port(s) do I have to  open so that I can get Erlang distribution
> working?

I'm not sure about this, but my understanding is that the port mapper
(epmd) uses port 4369, but that doesn't really help since TCP connections
between nodes use random port numbers (port "0" in calls to the OS).
This makes it kind of difficult to use distributed erlang through
firewalls...

Adam Aquilon