Which ports does distributed Erlang use?

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Fri Oct 25 14:27:40 CEST 2002

Joe Armstrong <joe@REDACTED> writes:

> Outch, ooohhh nasty.
>
>   My netgear box has a load of "filter rules" one per open port.
>
>   Opening a  port is no  mean feat and  involves a lot  of squiggeling
> around in a lot of incomprehensible menus. It also likes fixed ports.
>
>   Has anybody hacked  the erlang distribution kernal to  use ONE fixed
> port.

Setting min and max to the same value works. Also, it tries the lowest
value first, then increments, so if you just set a minimum then you'll
always get that port if it's free. See inet_tcp_dist.erl's do_listen.

NB - these options do seem to need a pretty recent Erlang. Works for
me in R9 but not R8B-1.

Cheers,
Luke