yaws

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Wed Jun 26 09:14:48 CEST 2002

Le mar 25/06/2002 à 13:36, Sean Hinde a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> > Great - I'm interested in the 2500 pages/sec figure - I have zero
> > ideas is this good - how does it compare with commercial
> > things (like ASP) or free things like PHP???
>
> This is pretty impressive yes. On my somewhat more humble 440MhZ Ultrasparc
> I was getting 600 pages per second from yaws compared to 60 static pages per
> second from Apache (using the apache benchmark program ab).

I agree. The performance of Yaws are impressive.
I think could be the basis of a really good performance application
server.

I have several figures to share.
On my computer (Duron 600), the performance of Yaws are the same that
Apache 1.3 with static pages. I am serving about 600-700 pages per
second on Apache and 750 pages per second on Yaws.
The interestign point is that Yaws scale well when you add simultaneous
connection (in ab -c parameter for concurrency). Yaws is still in the
same area of performance but Apache collapse quickly. It only serve
100-200 pages per second with 50 to 100 simultaneous connexion.

I did some comparison some times ago to mesure Java Tomcat performance.
Hum. For some trivial example I could reach 45-50 pages per second. Most
of the time, for moderatly complex pages I am serving 12 to 25 pages per
second.
(The RAM consumption quickly jump to several hundred megs ;-).
I suppose that I do not need to say that this solution does not scale at
all. Do not enter in production if you expect more than 10 simultaneous
requests.

I manage to get the best results with some bench I did on kylix: I
natively compiled some Apache modules. I was then approaching the
performance of Apache serving dynamic pages. (500 to 600 request per
seconds).
So until now I thought that building Apache Module was the only answer
for high performance web application. (But Apache module are really
horrible to develop).

Now we have Yaws and I think that this server might become a killer app
for Erlang.
I am writing little applications (A weblog for example) with it to
understand how we could improve the API to make more attractive for web
developper.

So, good job Klacke !

--
Mickaël Rémond