yaws

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Tue Jun 25 14:02:52 CEST 2002

Sean Hinde <Sean.Hinde@REDACTED> writes:

> Hi,
>
> > Great - I'm interested in the 2500 pages/sec figure - I have zero
> > ideas is this good - how does it compare with commercial
> > things (like ASP) or free things like PHP???
>
> This is pretty impressive yes. On my somewhat more humble 440MhZ Ultrasparc
> I was getting 600 pages per second from yaws compared to 60 static pages per
> second from Apache (using the apache benchmark program ab).

I'm curious about Yaws dynamic content vs. Yaws static content, or
Yaws dynamic content vs. another server's dynamic content. Seems to me
that dynamic content _should_ be faster than static because it doesn't
need to access the filesystem. It would only be slower if the dynamic
stuff is expensive in itself, which is going to depend on what the
page really does.

I reckon a cool idea for a mini-benchmark is writing equivalent
simple-but-not-trivial dynamic pages in several languages/servers and
benchmarking those. There's a nifty example of this at
http://www.orionserver.com/benchmarks/benchmark.html (but long out of
date now).

What would be _really_ interesting is e.g. Yaws/Mnesia vs
IIS/SQLServer or Oracle's appserver/database :-)

Cheers,
Luke