General protocol stack management

Peter Andersson peppe@REDACTED
Wed Feb 20 17:49:13 CET 2002

Hi Vlad,

As you've already been told, Markus Kvisth and I did our master thesis on the
subject of general protocol stack interfacing from Erlang a while back. We put
quite a big effort into theory and did not focus as much on implementation. We
prototyped a subset of the ideas that we presented in the report, mainly to
verify that our proposals were feasible for implementation. I think that if you
find functionality described in our paper that you would want to use
practically, then honestly, you're better off writing the code from scratch
than to go digging into our old prototype (implementation should be quite
straightfwd after reading chapter 3, anyway). This holds especially true if you
want to base your stack interface implementation on OTP (which we didn't back
in '97). Anyway, I still have the code and can dust it off for you if you
insist... eh, I mean like.  ;-)

I hope you find the paper interesting. (I do. I must have read it through a
hundred times! ;-). It has a lot of nice little pictures in it, so you
shouldn't have to be disappointed! Seriously, from what you said in your mail,
I think you'll find some interesting things in there. Do let me know! (unless
you hate it).

Best regards

  /Peter  (at OTP, which does indeed belong to some Ericsson company, like Erik
said)