General Protocol Stack Management

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Wed Feb 20 14:49:38 CET 2002

Hi!
Peter Andersson and Markus Kvisth wrote a Thesis on the
subject. You can find it in the Erlang Thesis section at
the open directory. I am unsure on where the code they
wrote it, or if it is in a usable state.

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Erlang/Artic
les/Thesis/

Regards,
Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com

Hi all,

I am trying to devise a general way to handle a protocol
stack in a way that is protocol independent. The closest
thing I found to look at was Megaco, which is very cool.
However, assumptions about the specific protocols are
spread a little here and there, and also the protocol
layers are fixed (since it is only designed to handle one
protocol).

I wonder if anyone had felt the need for such an
application, where once could dynamically add, remove or
change some of the handlers for the different layers in the
stack. My reason for doing this is to be able to change the
encoding and routing algorithms and/or the transport
medium, but then I thought "why not make it more general?" -
- I'd like to find out if such generality can be really
needed, or maybe it's better to choose the custom solution?
Maybe such a general aplication already exists, and then
I'd have a lot to learn from.

Any thoughts or remarks?
Best regards,
Vlad