Erlang and Java through CORBA version combinations

Erik Reitsma (ELN) Erik.Reitsma@REDACTED
Thu Oct 18 12:23:35 CEST 2001

Hi all!

I have been trying to talk to a Java server from an Erlang client through CORBA, and experienced some problems that I would like to share.
I found that only certain versions of OTP and Sun's Java ORB work together. I have to talk to a server that uses JDK 1.3.0, and this did not work with OTP R7D (marshalling errors on the Erlang side). So I tried some other combinations, and here are the results:

Below "works" means: I could call the method on the server and got the result. The method has parameters that contain objects, and has an out parameter that contains an object among other things. I can send the IDL for those who would like to solve this...
I print something on the server when the method is called, so I can see whether it is called or not.

The results:

JDK 1.2.1 on WinNT4:
works with:
OTP R7D, Linux
OTP R8B, WinNT4
OTP R7B, WinNT4

JDK 1.3.0 on WinNT4
works with:
OTP R7B, WinNT4
does not work with:
OTP R7D, Linux (method not called, marshalling exception)
OTP R8B, WinNT4 (method not called, marshalling exception)

JDK 1.4.0, first beta (b65) on WinNT4
works with:
none
does not work with:
OTP R7D, Linux (method called, but exception)
OTP R8B, WinNT4 (method called, but exception)
OTP R7B, WinNT4 (not called, no_implement exception)

JDK 1.4.0, second beta (b77) on WinNT4
works with:
OTP R7D, Linux
OTP R8B, WinNT4
does not work with:
OTP R7B, WinNT (not called, no_implement exception)

JDK 1.4.0, second beta (b77) on Linux
works with:
OTP R7D, Linux
OTP R8B, WinNT4
does not work with:
OTP R7B, WinNT (not called, no_implement exception)

This means, since I have to work with JDK 1.3, that I should use OTP R7B.
Any ideas about what causes this? Anything broken since R7B? I would like to use the newer OTP, but in this case, it seems that I have to use R7B...

*Erik.