Erlang and Java through CORBA version combinations

Jani Launonen jabba@REDACTED
Thu Oct 18 13:14:32 CEST 2001

Hello,

>I have been trying to talk to a Java server from an Erlang client through
>CORBA, and experienced some problems that I would like to share. I found
>that only certain versions of OTP and Sun's Java ORB work together. I
>have to talk to a server that uses JDK 1.3.0, and this did not work with
>OTP R7D (marshalling errors on the Erlang side). So I tried some other
>combinations, and here are the results:

Sun's ORB isn't promised to be complient as far as I know. At least it
doesn't work as a server end, I think. I've been using JacORB 1.3.30 and
they play nicely (although there were some problems way back with R7B-0/1,
with marshalling) together. Now I'm using P8A (Orber 3.2.9) and happy with
it.

>This means, since I have to work with JDK 1.3, that I should use OTP R7B.
>Any ideas about what causes this? Anything broken since R7B? I would like
>to use the newer OTP, but in this case, it seems that I have to use
>R7B...

Are you quite sure, you want to use Sun's ORB as it doesn't implement POA
and such compliantly? There's the JacORB (www.jacorb.org) and OpenORB
(www.openorb.org) that both are open source.

I might be wrong about the Sun's latest ORB, though.

-+-+-+-
Jani Launonen             Home: (08) 8802 180/Work: +358 8 553 2810
jabba@REDACTED          Paalikatu 14 A 410
                          90520 OULU
Student. . . . . . . . . .University of Oulu, Dept. of EE
Assistant Researcher . . .Genie of the Net Project