OtpR8B loops on configure

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Thu Nov 8 22:43:21 CET 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:43:26 +1300, Bruce Fitzsimons wrote:
>Has anyone else seen this?
>
>Using Linux RH6.2 (2.2.14) on a Pentium 233MMX (a very minimal system, but
>still a useful node).
>
>On line 4688 of /erts/emulator/configure where it checks for "unreliable
>floating point execptions" (sic) it runs a conftest program which loops my
>machine. I will admit to only leaving it for 10mins but the program does not
>appear to have any loops, and skimming it does not appear to be particularly
>processor intensive.
>
>For the moment I have presumed that I have unreliable floating point
>exceptions and commented out this test (and left it so it assumes it failed).
>
>R7B compiled perfectly on this machine a while ago, albeit with a Pentium 133
>cpu. I guess the upgrade could have affected it, but it doesn't loop, crash or
>do anything else bad for any other compilation tasks.

I would suspect a hardware or software problem specific to your machine.
I have a test box with a similar configuration (233MHz Pentium MMX,
RedHat 6.2), and it has no problem with the test for unreliable f.p.
exceptions. (They're reliable.)

You wrote "2.2.14". That's a pretty old kernel, which makes me wonder
if your box is 6.2 vanilla without any of the many recommended updates?
You should at least upgrade glibc and the kernel.

/Mikael Pettersson
(. HiPE developer and author of the x86 f.p. exception support code .)