QNX

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Thu Aug 24 18:46:09 CEST 2000

> Many years ago (in a different galaxy) I though that QNX was
> a beautiful little OS that would blend nicely with erlang.

I have just spotted it and agree it has some very nice properties which seem
complementary. Not least:

* asynchronous message passing both intra and inter node built into the
kernel core,

* built in resiliency across multiple Ethernet links between nodes (various
methods including send on all and receiver selects the first to arrive, send
via another node..).

* hard real time.

* Claimed full POSIX compliance.

> This turned out to be a dead duck though, nobody wanted it and
> by now the code has probably rotted and is completely useless.
> Anybody interested in QNX would have to make a brand new port.
> This should probably not be too hard though since QNX has
> improved their posix support vastly since (I guess 1995) when
> the port was done

I'll have a go at compiling OTP on it if I get some time. It seems it might
be worth another look.

Rgds,
Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: