New Linked-in Driver documentation?

Bruce Fitzsimons Bruce@REDACTED
Sun Aug 6 18:03:42 CEST 2000

Hi James,

> Now this would be interesting.  I've been thinking that it would be nice
> to have a generic driver that simply grabs data and sends it to a
> particular function in a particularly named library.  Then you could just
> write a DLL or shared library instead of having to rebuild the emulator.
> This is especially true under Windows, because it doesn't seem possible
> to rebuild the emulator directly, at least without major headaches.

There is man page "erl -man erl_ddll", and I also found it in the Kernel
manual.

To quote it:
"The  erl_ddll module can load and link a linked-in driver,
if run-time loading and  linking  of  shared  objects,  or
dynamic  libraries, is supported by the underlying operat
ing system."

Tobbe's byteorder contribution uses this, although he also uses the old
driver.h not the new erl_driver.h so I guess even more has changed in R6B.
It looks like there is some queue-oriented stuff as well. All very nice, I
just need to work out what it does and if/how to use it :-)

Cheers,
Bruce