Erlang programming environments

Per Hedeland per@REDACTED
Wed Aug 18 00:17:28 CEST 1999

Luke Gorrie <luke@REDACTED> wrote:

>Torbjorn Tornkvist <tobbe@REDACTED> writes:
>
>> > I'm wondering if anyone could recommend any programming environments
>> > for Erlang other than Emacs.  Maybe some of those fancy Windows
>> > editors have some Erlang extensions?
>>
>> Sorry, but I don't think so. The guys behind Erlang are all
>> heavy Emacs users so there has never existed a reason for
>> something else ;-)
>
>What a great bit of history.  I'll just be more selective about who I
>evangelise Erlang to. ;-)

Well, Tobbe *did* put a smiley in there:-) - of course there has been
many reasons for something else (which is why the "xerl" was produced),
the problem seems to be that people don't want Erlang to come with a
programming environment, they want Erlang to fit into the programming
environment they already have.

I.e. it isn't a whole lot the "core" Erlang developers can do about it,
except preach the virtues of Erlang and hope that enough people demand
an "Erlang mode" for their favorite programming environment as a
result.:-) Anyway, in case you find something, please share the info.

--Per Hedeland
per@REDACTED