[erlang-questions] unix domain sockets with abstract namespace: can't use all 108 bytes

Thu Mar 30 08:44:33 CEST 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 12:12:15PM +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> I wrote that any support in Erlang for the 'abstract socket namespace'
> of Linux would have to depend on the system *being* Linux.
>
> > On 30/03/2017, at 2:29 AM, Raimo Niskanen <raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED> wrote:
> >
> > That is uncomfortable since the spirit of configure tests is to test for
> > features and to not rely on a particular system name implying a feature.
>
> Where did I say anything about testing for a system name?
> What I meant is simply that
>  *IF* Erlang ever supports this Linux feature (and I do not say that it
>  should; the last time I wanted to write system-specific code was the
>  last day I programmed a DEC-10)
>  it should take care to check for a leading NUL byte and give an
>  informative error on systems that DON'T support this "feature".
> I have no idea what the best way to detect such support might be.
> What I cared about is that Erlang shouldn't just go ahead and
> accept leading NUL bytes on all systems because someone might be
> expecting the Linux "feature", so an informative error message is
> needed.

Ah.  Sorry, I misread you.  I also have no idea how to detect if this
"feature" is supported, so I thought you actually suggested to check if
the system was "Linux" since you had no other suggestion...