[erlang-questions] unix domain sockets with abstract namespace: can't use all 108 bytes

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Mar 30 01:12:15 CEST 2017

I wrote that any support in Erlang for the 'abstract socket namespace'
of Linux would have to depend on the system *being* Linux.

> On 30/03/2017, at 2:29 AM, Raimo Niskanen <raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> That is uncomfortable since the spirit of configure tests is to test for
> features and to not rely on a particular system name implying a feature.

Where did I say anything about testing for a system name?
What I meant is simply that
 *IF* Erlang ever supports this Linux feature (and I do not say that it
 should; the last time I wanted to write system-specific code was the
 last day I programmed a DEC-10)
 it should take care to check for a leading NUL byte and give an
 informative error on systems that DON'T support this "feature".
I have no idea what the best way to detect such support might be.
What I cared about is that Erlang shouldn't just go ahead and
accept leading NUL bytes on all systems because someone might be
expecting the Linux "feature", so an informative error message is
needed.