[erlang-questions] Not quite ANN: ErlPress - work--in-progress toward an Erlang-based page make-up program

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Mon Mar 27 23:18:13 CEST 2017

Hello,

I've been working for several months now on a major revision/extension of Joe Armstrong/Carl Wright/Hugh Watkins' erlguten program. The goal is a fairly full-functioned Erlang-based page make-up program suitable for creating print-ready *.pdf files.

So far I have implemented:

-- A markdown parser for text input
-- Structures and functions to define page grids
-- Functions that implement text jumps across two or more columns of different widths (think "continued on page xxx" functionality).
-- Isolated many useful functions that are currently not well documented and buried in erlguten source.

Tasks ahead involve wrapping up these functions into a documented and easy-to-use interface for creating postcards, reports, books, and other print documents.

Ideally I see ErlPress as the basis for a web-based program similar to Scribus. But I'm not ready to go that far yet.

The code is still sloppy so I'm not ready to release it. But I would love to get ideas and input on high-level design/API from folks experienced with and interested in print media.

If that's you, please contact me off-line.

All the best,

LRP