[erlang-questions] Accessing the documentation at runtime

Lutz Behnke lutz.behnke@REDACTED
Fri Sep 30 09:30:20 CEST 2016

Am 29.09.2016 um 15:49 schrieb Loïc Hoguin:
> On 09/29/2016 02:00 PM, Lutz Behnke wrote:
>>> *You should not have to run a server to read documentation!*
>>>
>>> Why would you open a socket to a local server (what port number btw?) to
>>> read a file that's *already on your filesystem*? Just open the file!
>>
>> Because having each file for each format on disk is a waste. If you only
>> ever want to use a single format, just prepare them for you. But don't
>> force me to use a format, just because you like it.
>
> But that's already the case. I only have man pages; I don't have HTML or
> PDF.
>
>> I don't where you see the difference between a server/filter that can do
>> it on the fly and some thin front-end that will prepare a complete doc
>> bundle in a desired format
>
> You are kidding?

No, I think I structured the sentence poorly. It should have been "a
server/filter vs the filter plus a thin frontend for a-priory
preparation". Where do you see the massive difference?

> Now Erlang needs to come with converters for every format people use.
> I'm advocating using a third party tool that handles all this mess
> automatically and produce the files along the release; up to you whether
> to install them or not.

I never said that the solution has to be written from scratch. Quite the
contrary. Although there will have to be some adaption work to be done.

--
Lutz Behnke
Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg,

phone: +49 40 42875-8156    mailto:lutz.behnke@REDACTED
fax  : +49 40 2803770       http://users.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~sage
Berliner Tor 7, 20099 Hamburg, Germany