[erlang-questions] Apology

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Sep 21 02:44:59 CEST 2016

I must say that the elixir/Application.html page
looks ugly to me.  Typographically, the main text
font and the typewriter font that I'm seeing do not
fit together (they have different x-heights).
The syntax colouring doesn't make sense to me:
some function names are in green, some are not.
Some things are in orange, and I haven't a clue why.
The main effect is to make some things I need to see
wash out (pale purple against white).
The page is 12 clicks high, and there are no internal
navigation aids.  Well, I tell a lie.  If you see a
vertical purple bar on the left and click on that, it
will move to the top of the window.  That is, you
*can* navigate to something you are *already at*.
There's a lot more vertical space than I like.
Look at "Types", for example.  This is another
example where clicking on something you are already
at, like the purple "value", takes you where you
already are, not to something handy like a list of
functions that accept or return that type.
If you are going to change font size a lot
(and "Callbacks", "start(start_type, start_args)",
and "Specs", three successive lines, are in three
different sizes) the thing that needs to be in a
large plain font is the thing you are looking for,
which is the thing you are defining.  "Specs" is
just noise, better not there.  What needs to be
highlighted is "start(start_type, start_args)".

In contrast, with the design_principles/applications.html
page, there's a high density of useful information per
window, and BOOM the top of the page tells me just what
I need to know.  There is useful internal navigation.
The fonts don't quite fit together, but it's less
obtrusive than the Elixir page.  Altogether I'm a much
happier reader with this page.

The one thing that would improve
> http://erlang.org/doc/man/application.html
for me would be if there was a table with the functions
listed in functional (topical) groups, as well as the
alphabetic list.  (See "Smalltalk 4-pane browser".)
This applies to paper/PDF as well as HTML.