[erlang-questions] [ANN] Positive version 13.3.7

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Fri Mar 25 23:46:56 CET 2016

On 03/25/2016 11:10 PM, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> All I want to say, since the argument, 'it is just a joke/satire', is so
> often used in this discussion and many, many others, is that something
> being a joke in itself does not mean it is in good taste. Nor does it
> mean satirical take doesn't come from a place of smug jerkiness.

You guys make it sound like it's not possible to both laugh at and feel
bad for someone.

If you trip and fall in a funny way, I will laugh and be worried that
you may have gotten hurt. At the same time. After I know you're OK, I
will laugh some more and joke about it.

That's what happened to NPM. They trip and fall in a funny way. They're
OK now. And people are laughing some more. Nothing wrong with that.

Going on a tangent here, but that's a pretty good thing for NPM that
people laugh about it. There's plenty of essays on the subject, but for
the sake of keeping it short I'll take a very well known quote:

     First they ignore you,
     then they laugh at you,
     then they fight you,
     then you win.

People who have nothing to do with NPM (or JS) are laughing about it.
Server-side JS is probably at the "they fight you" step.

Now let's imagine what would happen if the same thing happened to
Erlang. Can you guess what would happen? Nobody would care. Most JS
developers wouldn't even notice.

I'll even go as far as say this whole fiasco benefits NPM and Node in
the long term, but that's a story for another day.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu