[erlang-questions] ssl_closed not always received

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Apr 11 18:57:56 CEST 2016

On 04/11/2016 06:43 PM, Khitai Pang wrote:
> On 2016/4/11 17:52, Loïc Hoguin wrote:

>>> How about this?  The client sends a heartbeat message to the server
>>> every 2 minutes and the server replies with a heartbeat ack. The server
>>> deems the connection as lost if no heartbeat received in 2 minutes and
>>> the client deems the connection as lost if heartbeat ask is not received
>>> in 2 minutes.  This sounds like uni-directional to me but would it
>>> suffice?
>>
>> All that matters is that both endpoints send a ping message. It can be
>> sent as a response.
>>
>> One important point is that the client and server agree on timeouts
>> (this can be part of the protocol handshake or explicitly defined in
>> the implementation, they just need to agree on it). Note that there's
>> two timeouts: one for the client, and one for the server. They don't
>> have to match.
>
> By non-matching timeouts on client an server do you mean that we should
> give some grace time to the client? e.g. the client sends a message
> every 5 minutes but the server deems the connection as lost if no
> message is received in 6 minutes?

I mean the client may consider the server disconnected if it hears
nothing for X seconds, while the server may consider the client
disconnected if it hears nothing for Y seconds.

Then, you're right, there's also Z, which is the interval between
client-initiated pings. But that one can be determined from X and Y.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu