[erlang-questions] Erlang on VAX

Per Hedeland per@REDACTED
Fri Apr 8 00:24:48 CEST 2016

[I doubt that this is of any real interest to erlang-questions@, but I
 guess I'll just follow on...]

Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Mike Williams
><michael.c.williams10@REDACTED> wrote:
>>  Probably 4.1 BSD UNIX, maybe 4.2.

We started with 4.1, but pretty soon upgraded to 4.2 when it was
released - that's the one that brought us TCP/IP, yeah! I'm pretty sure
that we also went to 4.3, but not further. I know that we *had* the 4.4
release (on a cartridge mind you, not the good old 10.5-inch reels
anymore), but I don't think we ever installed it.

>> We bought the VAX with (I think) 4 MBytes of memory and upgraded to 16Mbytes
>> of memory.

My memory (sorry for the pun) is exactly half of those numbers, and I'm
pretty sure about that too - specifically that we had to go from 2 to a
whopping 8 MBytes when we had upgraded to 4.2, because it did much more
agressive caching - with "too little" RAM, 4.2 was significantly slower
than 4.1.

>When was the upgrade bought - at the same time as the original or later?

So the RAM upgrade should have been some time after the 4.2 release,
probably 1984ish, maybe 1985.

--Per