[erlang-questions] HTTP client with sessions support

Ingela Andin ingela.andin@REDACTED
Wed Jun 17 23:01:09 CEST 2015

Hi!

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Ulf Wiger <ulf@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> Creating an ets table really isn’t a heavy operation.
>>

> Agree, I'm mostly concerned about dynamic atom creation in runtime, isn't
> it recommended to avoid this on long running servers.

Well, profiles was designed as to be similar to inkognito windows in
chrome, and to fit the API that was once contributed to us.
As such it was not expected that there would be lots and lots of profiles
coming and going dynamically, and as the API was we needed
to have a registered name for the profile, hence the atom.

> It would be great to be able to run httpc like any other linked server
> with start_link and then use its Pid to send requests without need of named
> profile. Or maybe let use some safe runtime data as profile name, like ref
> or string.

The profile concept could probably be extended to have "anonymous"
profiles.

> I see it is possible to run httpc in 'stand_alone' mode but this still
> requires atom profile name.

The 'stand-alone' mode I think was a not so brilliant compromise for having
a more light wight "HTTP GET". But if there is a demand you never know
what may happen.  I do not recommend the 'stand-alone' mode.

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP team - Ericsson AB

[...]