[erlang-questions] Implementing an erlang server to host organizational data

Khitai Pang khitai.pang@REDACTED
Tue Dec 1 11:33:02 CET 2015

Hi,

I am writing an erlang server to host organizational data, e.g. the
hierarchy of a company.  Every organization has a root node (the top
branch), a branch node can have zero or multiple child nodes, a child
node can be an employee node or a branch node, an employee node has no
children... Basically, it's tree-like data.  All organization data is
hosted on the erlang server, every client has it's local copy of the
data.  A client (mobile app) connects to the erlang server to operate on
the data (create an organization, add a branch, add an employee, rename
a branch, add a subbranch to a branch, etc.), the change of the tree
should be instantly synced to all clients.

Out of pure passion, I decided to do this with erlang.  I am new to
erlang, new like couple of weeks.

How to store the data on disk? Mnesia?  How to organize the data? Does
erlang has some OTP-fu to handle tree data?  Does erlang has a way to do
mutex?  How do erlang server and clients talk to do data syncing?  Can
the syncing be done by communicating with raw Erlang terms?

Sorry to ask so many questions, some may be off-topic in an mailing list
for Erlang the programming language.  I really need some guidance before
start working on it.  And I want to know in what way erlangers' would
tend to implement this.

Thanks
Khitai