[erlang-questions] 16-bit Erlang: crazy? Or just stupid?

Fri Aug 7 11:35:47 CEST 2015

In principle, with enough work, this is possible, though in a modern world
I think the 16 bit address space ends up being too small. The 32 bit
address space is quite viable however, and that experiment has been done,
see the halfword-emulator for Erlang.

The idea is to run Processes in a 32bit space, but keep ETS tables and
other things in a 64 bit space. The end result is less memory pressure for
processes, smaller pointers in many cases and so on.

I'm somewhat hesitant to say we would win much by having smaller data paths
down to 16 bit. It doesn't look like this is the primary limitation of
modern CPU architectures: power, memory bandwidth, and a tiny issue width
is.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Michael Turner <
michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:

> I screwed up the access settings in Google Docs. You should all be able to
> read it now. Sorry for the stupid, crazy service failure.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Turner
> Executive Director
> Project Persephone
> K-1 bldg 3F
> 7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
> Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
> Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
> Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
> Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
> turner@REDACTED
> http://www.projectpersephone.org/
>
> "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
> together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Michael Turner <
> michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:
>

>> Comments invited.
>>

>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10GfPfpqQKzV6Ws7MULPBue6VoAaZF-vGHTQ4UFAXtSw/edit
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michael Turner
>> Executive Director
>> Project Persephone
>> K-1 bldg 3F
>> 7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
>> Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
>> Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
>> Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
>> Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
>> turner@REDACTED
>> http://www.projectpersephone.org/
>>
>> "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
>> together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

J.