[erlang-questions] ErlIDE on Mac OS X Mavericks - anyone using it successfully?

Luca Finzi Contini lucafinzicontini@REDACTED
Sun Nov 9 17:54:41 CET 2014

Hi all,
for those of you interested in this subject, and thanks to the help of Vlad
(vladdu55@REDACTED), I came up with a solution to work on my Macbook Pro.

Root cause was: Java 8!
Switching to Java 7 magically solved all the issues.
Here is what I did in detail.

0) my machine's 'name' is 'legolas'.
1) in System Preferences, it is displayed as "Computer Name: legolas" but
underneath this, it reads: "Computers on your local network can access your
computer at : *legolas.local*".
So I changed the hostname to be this fully qualified name:

legolas:~ finzic$ sudo hostname -s legolas.local
legolas:~ finzic$ hostname
legolas.local

2) I modified the /etc/hosts to include *legolas* and *legolas.local* on
the same line as 127.0.0.1
Looking at the log files, it seems that both the short-name and the
long-name version are needed to have it working.

3) Most importantly I found that the default JDK used was 1.8.0, so I set
JAVA_HOME to the 1.7.0 folder and launched Eclipse via terminal:

legolas:MacOS finzic$ /usr/libexec/java_home -V

Matching Java Virtual Machines (4):

    1.8.0_05, x86_64: "Java SE 8"
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_05.jdk/Contents/Home

    1.7.0_55, x86_64: "Java SE 7"
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_55.jdk/Contents/Home

    1.6.0_65-b14-462, x86_64: "Java SE 6"
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

    1.6.0_65-b14-462, i386: "Java SE 6"
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_05.jdk/Contents/Home

legolas:MacOS finzic$ echo $JAVA_HOME

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_55.jdk/Contents/Home

legolas:MacOS finzic$

This way, everything worked extra-smoothly.
This means that all the issues of timeouts in communication between Java
and Erlang in my opinion were caused by Eclipse running Java 8.

Thank to Vlad once more for all the help.
Luca.