[erlang-questions] "actor database" - architectural strategy question

Miles Fidelman <>
Tue Feb 18 19:26:57 CET 2014

and Lukas Larsson wrote (in response to the same item):
> If I were to do something like this I would first try to only put the
> heap and referenced off heap binaries to disk. This should be the
> majority of the memory footprint and will allow all process meta data
> (links, monitors, registry etc etc) to remain unaffected. The question
> is what to do about the stack which could contain pointers to code
> that has been changed while the process was hibernated.

Fred: Are you suggesting that application state has to be preserved when
hibernating a process today?  I may be missing something, but I thought
the point of hibernation was to reduce process footprint transparently.

Lukas: I think that really zeros in on the question.

Anybody know where I should start looking for documentation of the
current hibernation mechanism?