[erlang-questions] "actor database" - architectural strategy question

Lukas Larsson lukas@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 14:58:36 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman@REDACTED>wrote:

> For scaling, the next step would be to swap out to disk - if that happens
> as a hibernate to disk, all the other functionality would stick around (as
> opposed to an application level write-state-to-disk).  Hence the question
> re. internals of the hibernate BIF and the scheduler, and how one might
> think about wiring in a hibernate-to-disk function.

If I were to do something like this I would first try to only put the heap
and referenced off heap binaries to disk. This should be the majority of
the memory footprint and will allow all process meta data (links, monitors,
registry etc etc) to remain unaffected. The question is what to do about
the stack which could contain pointers to code that has been changed while
the process was hibernated.

Lukas