[erlang-questions] "actor database" - architectural strategy question

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 19:38:05 CET 2014

On 02/18, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Fred: Are you suggesting that application state has to be preserved when
> hibernating a process today?  I may be missing something, but I thought the
> point of hibernation was to reduce process footprint transparently.

No, I'm saying that as you hibernate a process that remains alive, it
can keep using all these resources and have them allocated. Dump it to
disk, deallocate everything in the VM, and then try to reload it, and
this implicit state tracking that you had being done by the VM is no
longer valid.