[erlang-questions] What problem are we trying to solve here? [was Erland users group [was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]]]

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Sun Feb 16 20:01:44 CET 2014

This discussion of whether it is good or bad that Ericsson manages/releases Erlang often crops up. I feel there are 3 very strong reasons why it is good that they do:

- The quality of the actual is very good, it is product quality.
- The Erlang language has been kept very small and consistent
- There is basically only one release which everyone uses so you avoid the problem of "it runs on R17 with Bills patches v0.3"

Now I know that all these issues could be handled if Erlang was managed by some group/steering committee/whatever but it would be much more difficult. Especially the second one I think would be the first to go. I am reasonably certain that there would come quite a few suggestions for modifying/extending the language which would be very difficult to resist. Each one would be quite modest and reasonable but taken together the  language would grow with lots of special cases and suddenly become large and unwieldy. And everyone on the committee/group would have their own special features which really must be included because EVERYONE will benefit. Look at PL1 or Common Lisp.

Maybe I am being way to pessimistic here but I see the problems as real and being of the slippery slope type. From past experience it is much easier to add something than to remove it later, no matter hard bad it originally was.

Also having the same group making the decisions and building the standard releases means that there can actually be order in the world.

However you do it someone is going to get dissed for doing the wrong thing and will need a very thick skin.

Robert