[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang/OTP 17.0 has been released

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Apr 10 12:44:07 CEST 2014

Hi!

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Rickard Green <rickard@REDACTED> wrote:

> If you make such decisions based on an OTP version, you will make the
> wrong decisions on OTP installations consisting of applications from
> multiple OTP versions. An OTP application is the smallest installable
> unit supported. If you want to make such decisions based on version,
> you should look at application version.

To detect (breaking) changes to the BEAM opcodes or the external term
format, I suppose the application to check is erts?
For changes to the language syntax - is it still erts?

Having a global OTP version makes it easier to refer to these things when
talking about them, especially now when R16 and earlier are still around.
For most people, it doesn't make much sense to say "Erlang has maps from
erts-6.0", because when they go to the download page, they see only the OTP
version... So there is still a need for a generic label. Alternatively,
maybe erts version could be made "17.0" and use that as the "language
version"? This precludes having major OTP versions for purely marketing
reasons, though...

BTW, is the file "installed_application_versions" something to count on?

regards,
Vlad