[erlang-questions] Building, Packaging and Installing

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Mon May 7 21:30:59 CEST 2012

On 07/05/2012 15:27, Tristan Sloughter wrote:

>     One major difference is that Colombo tries to adhere to the
>     version numbering scheme of OTP and avoids using the source area
>     for generating releases.
>
>     It means that after building in ./gproc the compiled version will
>     be installed in ./lib/gproc-0.4.3
>     This allows a more strict separation of managing dependencies and
>     the actual building of the app you are working on.
>     I tried to get rebar to do the same, but it was too painful for me
>     to get that to work, so I decided to do an experiment of my own to
>     see if I could create something that could help me out.
>

> Just wanted to say this was an issue that has been recently debated
> regarding source area for generating releases,
> http://blog.erlware.org/2012/05/04/sinan-releases-and-being-right/
>
> And that Colombo is sounding definitely like I had already planned on
> building around agner, so I think I'm going to start out trying to use
> Colombo for my needs.
>
> Tristan
Just report any issues you have with Colombo - it is alpha software, so
I do not expect it to be in any way perfect.

I am very open to put in new functionality or split Colombo into two
tools if that seems better. It might be that my needs are a corner case
and the more generally applicable solution is different - in fact it
will be the case, so I am ready to get feedback and find ways to improve it.

Cheers,
Torben

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann