[erlang-questions] Building, Packaging and Installing

Tobias Schlager Tobias.Schlager@REDACTED
Tue May 8 09:43:16 CEST 2012

I know that this is not a very popular opinion but to me it sounds like what you're looking for is pretty close to what maven delivers:
* binary-based packaging
* well-defined dependency management (handling version conflicts)
* (open source) repository managers (e.g. sonatype nexus)
* group id concept (could be used to avoid clashes when forking github projects)
* support for continuous integration (e.g. jenkins)
* a manifest file (pom.xml)
* built-in support for documentation and reporting
* support for code/package signing

Of course there are certain drawbacks like:
* not written in erlang (its written in java)
* requires a certain amount of (static) xml configuration
* poor support for building native code
* slower than other tools

Currently, everyone is hot to re-implement all this in erlang and that's perfectly ok, I just wanted to throw in another point of view.

Regards
Tobias