[erlang-questions] TDD, Erlang and Emacs

Tobias Schlager Tobias.Schlager@REDACTED
Fri Mar 2 08:54:31 CET 2012

Hi,

in case you decide to write your own emacs plugin I suggest you'll have a look at the erl-mvn-distel emacs mode. It's an emacs integration for projects built with the maven-erlang-plugin. You could port it to rebar projects (or whatever you're currently using to build and run your project). Regarding the features, I think its pretty close to what you're looking for:

* JIT compiling of code/test code
* toggling between code/test code (using F5)
* running a single test case (F6) or all test cases of a test module (F7) (afaik this even works from the code under test)
* test success or failure is indicated by coloring the test function header
* tracing a single test case (SHIFT-F6)

Link
* http://github.com/sheyll/erl-mvn-distel/

Regards
Tobias

Von: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED [erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED]" im Auftrag von "Jayson Barley [jayson.barley@REDACTED]

Gesendet: Freitag, 2. März 2012 00:24

An: erlang-questions@REDACTED

Betreff: [erlang-questions] TDD, Erlang and Emacs

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a smoother TDD experience with Erlang and Emacs. I am finding the process to be less than optimal. The way I am doing it now is that I have 3 windows open.

In my test module I write my test Switch to the Erlang bufferRun my tests, see that it failsSwitch to the module under test buffer, write code to get the test to passSwitch back to the Erlang buffer, run my tests againSwitch back to the test buffer and repeat.
Ideally I would like to have 2 windows open, 1 for the module under test and the other for the test window. From the module under test buffer or the test module I should be able to run the tests, see that they pass or fail and then move on.I have been considering
 writing an plugin to handle this functionality for me. Before I go that route I want to make sure I am not duplicating what someone else has already done.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to do this better?