[erlang-questions] Erlang is touch of genius

Ingo Jaeckel ingo.jaeckel@REDACTED
Fri Jun 22 21:11:21 CEST 2012

What about tool support e.g. refactoring, (remote) debugging,
deployment, monitoring, profiling, code analysis tools, etc. There are
so many tools supporting the development process for more popular
languages like Java and C#. Do you think that (due to the language
itself?) those are not needed for Erlang? Compared to the
free/commercial tools available for Java, the Erlang tool chain looks
not mature enough to me.

I *love* the language itself and achieving nine 9s is great, too [1].
But don't you need so much more than great language concepts on a
day-to-day basis when you are choosing the language for your next
super-cool project?

Ingo

[1] http://ll2.ai.mit.edu/talks/armstrong.pdf