[erlang-questions] Ability to add app directories explicitly for reltool

Dmitry Demeshchuk demeshchuk@REDACTED
Fri Jan 13 17:18:18 CET 2012

Here's a more certain example.

Say, I clone some repository from GitHub (say, gproc, like in my
example gist). Now I add some stuff to it and want to build a release.
Here's how it should look:

some_dir/
    gproc/
        src/
        include/
        ebin/
        priv/
        deps/
        rel/
           reltool.config
           files/      (this contains starting bash scripts, default
config file and so on)
           gproc/     (this directory will be actually generated by
rebar when running "rebar generate"; in fact, most of its content is
generated by reltool)
                erts-5.8.5/
                lib/
                priv/
                releases/

So, my release will run from "rel/gproc".

Now, if I generate a release upgrade to release 2.0, I make some
changes, do "rebar generate-appups && rebar generate-upgrade" and a
new release package is created:

rel/gproc/releases/gproc-2.0.tar.gz

Then I just remsh to my running node and install the new release using
release_handler.

What I want here is to be independent from the top-level folder
(some_dir). Maybe I have more Erlang projects there, maybe just some
pictures, books and MongoDB logs, it can be anything.

For now, the only thing I can do without doing anything with directory
structure is adding to reltool.config this:

or in an absolute way:

{lib_dirs, ["/home/me/some/path/some_dir"]}.

Does this make sense?

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Demeshchuk