[erlang-questions] Ability to add app directories explicitly for reltool

Siri Hansen erlangsiri@REDACTED
Fri Jan 13 16:56:47 CET 2012

Yes, we are definitely drifting away from the original problem. But I found
it quite interesting also... :)

Anyway - I'm not against introducing new functionality if it is needed -
but I do believe in doing a good investigation in order to ensure (or at
least attempt) the best possible solution. The problem for me was that I
did not really understand the problem. I'm not sure if I still do (sorry!)
- but I'll try to explain what I think you mean. Please correct me if
(when) I'm wrong... ;)

I think that what you suggest is to be able to point out one specific
application directory instead of specifying one or more lib dirs. And the
reason for this is that you have several applications stored under the same
lib dir, which are not necessarily at all related to each other. And
typically - for each core application (which forms the main functionality
of a release), you have it's dependency applications stored in the deps
directory under the core application itself. Is this correct?

How do you handle different version of the core app and of the dep apps?
Could you give an example of this? e.g.

lib/
   coreapp-1.0/
      src/
      ebin/
      include/
      priv/
      deps/
         app1-1.0/
             src
             ebin
   coreapp-2.0/
      src/
      ebin/
      include/
      priv/
      deps/
         app1-1.1/
             src
             ebin

And, when specifying the explicit app dir, would you expect reltool to
automatically include the deps directory in the selected coreapp-Vsn as a
lib dir?? Or should there be a way to specify that also?

I hope I'm not totally on the wrong track here...

/siri