[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Fri Feb 17 06:40:14 CET 2012

I understand that for your own specific use, you would prefer to benchmark the complete stack, which is completely reasonable.  However, the goal is avoiding subjective judgments on complex technological decisions by reducing the testing to smaller components.  The "yaws vs apache" benchmark is probably the oldest benchmark that exists, showing results with an Erlang HTTP server.  The misultin benchmark is the best in the absence of other loadtest results, but I agree it is unfortunate that it wasn't more serious with client machines driving the test with something like Tsung.  If you ignore that, the fact it was able to show relative performance was interesting.

Adding more complexity to the tests, when you bring in other components seems like it would make the test less useful, unless the Erlang components are part of someone's favorite "web framework" bundle.  Then that just becomes a sales-pitch.  I like the idea of having a more objective guide as to which Erlang HTTP server should be used, or how the decisions compare to non-Erlang HTTP servers.  Those results then can help guide development decisions and simulate more innovation.