[erlang-questions] Fear and Loathing in Programming La La Land

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Thu Apr 5 22:47:30 CEST 2012

Jan Burse wrote:
> Miles Fidelman schrieb:
>> If anything, choice of tools can drive the architecture of a system
>> (Erlang begats even-driven actor architectures, Java begats
>> object-oriented ones.)
>
> ?? Do you think Erlang is a tool ??

Well... more like a toolbox containing a collection of tools for for
building and executing systems - comprised of one-or-more instances of a
run-time environment, a compiler, a language, a collection of
pre-written components (OTP), and a variety of user-facing tools for
putting pieces together and executing them.

And it happens that this particular toolbox is good for building systems
with some particular architectural characteristics: massive concurrency,
message passing, shared nothing.  I.e., it's a toolbox that's
particularly suited to the actor design pattern (architecture).

> The language Erlang comes with a tool-set
> (top-level, compilers, etc..) and the
> language Erlang supports a special runtime
> architecture.
>
> I have only put three angels on the pin,
> at least this is how I see the world. One
> has to distinguish between:
> - The Erlang language.
> - The Erlang tool-set.
> - The Erlang runtime.
> - What else?

I think you miss the point: Arguing about which comes first,
architecture or tools, (or chicken or egg), is akin to arguing about how
man angels can fit on the head of a pin.  The answer is "yes."

> Same for other languages such as Java,
> C++, etc.. Usually language is the
> interface between tool and architecture.

I'd frame it as language is the way one represents an architecture so
that it can be implemented.