[erlang-questions] Fear and Loathing in Programming La La Land

Jan Burse janburse@REDACTED
Fri Apr 6 01:04:48 CEST 2012

Miles Fidelman schrieb:
> it's a toolbox that's particularly suited
> to the actor design pattern (architecture).

Design pattern or architecture? A design
pattern is usually implemented on top of
an architecture.

A main characteristic of an architecture
is ubiquity in an application. So the
same architecture elements will be used
over an over for different use cases.
These use case might be designed with
the help of design patterns.

And I cannot agree that the Java suite
begets "object orientation" as architecture.
I rather see the fundamental architecture as:
- multi threaded
- single class inheritance (extends)
- multiple interface inheritance (implements)
- What else?

The actor design pattern is not that difficult
to implement in the above architecture. And
it is also not that difficult to elevate
the fundamental architecture by actor like
elements.

Many of such attempts are modelled after Erlang.
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2009/jw-03-actor-concurrency2.html

Bye