[erlang-questions] Fear and Loathing in Programming La La Land

Jan Burse <>
Thu Apr 5 22:33:24 CEST 2012

Miles Fidelman schrieb:
> If anything, choice of tools can drive the architecture of a system
> (Erlang begats even-driven actor architectures, Java begats
> object-oriented ones.)

?? Do you think Erlang is a tool ??

The language Erlang comes with a tool-set
(top-level, compilers, etc..) and the
language Erlang supports a special runtime

I have only put three angels on the pin,
at least this is how I see the world. One
has to distinguish between:
- The Erlang language.
- The Erlang tool-set.
- The Erlang runtime.
- What else?

Same for other languages such as Java,
C++, etc.. Usually language is the
interface between tool and architecture.

BTW: One can easily build and run code
written in the Erlang language with other
tool-sets and runtimes. Here is a very small