[erlang-questions] Mocking I/O calls - defining sequence of returns

James Churchman jameschurchman@REDACTED
Sun May 22 00:07:32 CEST 2011

as erlang is functional by default you always get the same result every time
you call a pure function.

you have to either place in a random ( is random a "pure" thing? ) that
randomly selects an output each time, or you need to store the number of
calls in an impure way. The options would be to spawn off a process ( eg a
genserver ) in the background and have your mock code talk to it, start an
ets table, maybe even * write to a file * tho i get that defeats the purpose
of what your trying to do, or as a cheep trick use the process dictionary:

first put a starting value in the PD :
put(number_of_runs,0)
then in your code you can :
case Runs = get(number_of_runs) & put(number_of_runs,Runs+1)
& erase at the end : erase(number_of_runs)
http://www.erlang.org/course/advanced.html#dict

tho use of the process dictionary makes debugging& understanding the code
etc.... very tricky and breaks most of the elegant parts of erlang, so its
best used for the kinds of uses you have in mind and less so in your real
code :-)