[erlang-questions] Mocking I/O calls - defining sequence of returns

Tobias Schlager tobias.schlager@REDACTED
Sun May 22 05:45:44 CEST 2011

Hi,

you could try erlymock. It's usage is pretty much like easymock for java.

Link:
  * https://github.com/sheyll/erlymock

For your example you could write something like this:

M = em:new(),
em:strict(M, io, get_line, [prompt1], {return, "a line"}),
em:strict(M, io, get_line, [prompt2], {return, eof}),
em:replay(M),

... test code goes here ...

em:verify(M),

I don't know how other frameworks do it but mocking io:get_line with
erlymock will purge the io module. So running your test from within an
erlang shell will most likely break the running shell. Regarding this
mocking the io module might not be a good idea.

Regards
Tobias