[erlang-questions] 'reply-to' header in this mailing list

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Wed May 18 12:15:43 CEST 2011

I have so far studiously avoided getting in any of these discussions. I personally think that the current way is what best corresponds to my view of a mailing-list, it is a list mail addresses. When I post to the list I am really just sending to all the people on the list, it is a practical and simple way of keeping track of to whom I am sending. So a reply is a reply to the sender. This maybe a slightly naïve way of viewing a list but to me this is what a mailing-list is.

If it were a forum, which I think it should be, then it would be a different matter.

Robert

----- "Michael Turner" <michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:
> " I would like to understand *why* you don't judge this very simple solution to your problem as adeguate."

It's not just about me. It's about people who have never encountered this controversy before, because they're on normal mailing lists, and who write their first-ever message (and many more afterward) to *this* list. People who haven't even subscribed yet.

So, what do you propose? Something like this, perhaps: In the sign-on message for new subscribers to the Erlang mailing list, we include a message saying, "Get in the habit of always using 'Reply all' instead of 'Reply', for *all* of your e-mail correspondence, and after a while, you won't find it annoying in the least that this mailing list has 'Reply-to' set only to the address of the message sender, unlike other mailing lists you're on."

Or, if not that, then exactly *how* do you propose to change the world's habits? (Venture Capitalists have a term for this, when they encounter a business plan that's predicated on people giving up habits: "Boiling the ocean.")

When it's "purely logical versus human nature", human nature always wins.

-michael turner