[erlang-questions] 'reply-to' header in this mailing list

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Wed May 18 12:00:40 CEST 2011

"I would like to understand *why* you don't  judge this very simple solution
to your problem as adeguate."

It's not just about me. It's about people who have never encountered this
controversy before, because they're on normal mailing lists, and who write
their first-ever message (and many more afterward) to *this* list. People
who haven't even subscribed yet.

So, what do you propose?  Something like this, perhaps: In the sign-on
message for new subscribers to the Erlang mailing list, we include a message
saying, "Get in the habit of always using 'Reply all' instead of 'Reply',
for *all* of your e-mail correspondence, and after a while, you won't find
it annoying in the least that this mailing list has 'Reply-to' set only to
the address of the message sender, unlike other mailing lists you're on."

Or, if not that, then exactly *how* do you propose to change the world's
habits? (Venture Capitalists have a term for this, when they encounter a
business plan that's predicated on people giving up habits: "Boiling the
ocean.")

When it's "purely logical versus human nature", human nature always wins.

-michael turner