[erlang-questions] FPGA coming around the corner

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Fri Jan 7 05:40:39 CET 2011

> If the time is to come, then surely this is the *right time* for the
> Erlang/OTP 'product' to step up and meet the challenges and mindset that
> bind us daily owing to the chosen OO style forced onto us by C++/Java.

On a related note: I'm curious -- why is it that many seem unaware of
Erlang's advantages with multi-core? Even vocal MP experts that are
advocating for the change in mindset you describe and the need for
programmers to be aware of the disconnect and quickly adapt -- these
advocates don't sound like they're aware of Erlang (at least they don't
mention Erlang in their talks).

A blog post recently alerted me to a talk Maurice Herlihy gave back in
2007 entitled "Taking Concurrency Seriously: New Directions in
Multiprocessor Synchronization."

http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380/Abstracts/070502.html
http://ee380.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/videologger.php?target=070509-ee380-300.asx

To quote him "... Computer architecture is about to undergo, if not
another revolution, then a vigorous shaking-up. The major chip
manufacturers have, for the time being, simply given up trying to make
processors run faster... As a result, system designers and software
engineers can no longer rely on increasing clock speed to hide software
bloat. Instead, they must somehow learn to make effective use of
increasing parallelism. This adaptation will not be easy. Conventional
synchronization techniques based on locks and conditions are unlikely to
be effective in such a demanding environment..."

He then goes on the show some pretty fancy Java code illustrating
concurrent data structures and a concept he calls "transactional boosting"
in an attempt to deal with the disconnect without burdening the programmer
"too much."

There are a number of more recent talks on that Standford page with the
same tone...

http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380/previous.html

They all sound panic-stricken and suggest there is currently no complete
viable solution out-there yet to programming for the multi-core age that
don't burden the programmer. These are some very smart people. But when I
saw these videos recently I thought "Have they not heard of Erlang? If not
why not?"

- Edmond -