[erlang-questions] Developing killer / open source apps

Daniel Goertzen daniel.goertzen@REDACTED
Fri Aug 5 21:04:27 CEST 2011

How about interfacing Erlang to the Qt UI library?

I don't mean a convential binding like wxErlang or PyQt, but components to
facilitate message passing between Erlang and a Qt port program or NIF
thread running a Qt message loop.

Qt has relatively recently introduced QML, which is basically a fancy GUI
designer that lets you incorporate javascript.  The application development
model is that the GUI is written in QML/javascript, and the underlying
application logic is in C++ (very Web 2.0-ish).  Now instead of writing C++,
you have your QML/javascript talk to the "ErQt" object which passes messages
to/from Erlang, and Erlang implements the application logic.

Conceivably one could create a single Qt port executable, driver, or NIF
library that could run any number of QML/javascript programs.  Creating a
GUI for Erlang would involve using the native Qt tools for authoring QML and
javascript, and implementing your comm protocol on both the javascript and
Erlang sides.  Your QML/javascript GUI would run on the standard Qt port
exectable...no additional C++ compiling required.

Now QML is currently only available for mobile devices, but the Qt folks
have stated that they will port it to the desktop and this will become the
preferred way to develop desktop Qt apps.

This project would likely involve more C++ than Erlang, so I'm not sure how
you feel about that. ;)

Cheers,
Dan.